Call for applications – Visual Arts FOCUS in Paris and Bordeaux
During the week of the FIAC (international contemporary art fair), fifteen European professionals (curators, directors of institutions) identified by the French cultural network abroad and the French Institute will be invited to discover the artistic scenes of Paris and Bordeaux. The objective is to introduce the French contemporary art scene to European professionals with a view to future collaborations and invitations of French artists in prescriptive artistic venues.
The Focus on visual arts will be articulated around several key moments:
- the FIAC and the programming of the contemporary art week of ”Greater Paris”.
- visits to prescriptive art venues in Paris and Bordeaux: foundations, museums, art centers, galleries, FRAC.
- meetings with artists from the French scene and studio visits.
- meetings with professionals from the French and international art scenes
Description of the program:
In the most prestigious contemporary art institutions of the city, from the FRAC-MÉCA to the CAPC museum of contemporary art, international, French and Bordeaux art scenes will be honoured.
Meetings with local artists and professionals will also be organized at the Fabrique Pola to discover the artistic effervescence of Bordeaux.
FIAC – International Contemporary Art Fair
For its 47th edition, the FIAC will bring together more than 160 galleries from 25 countries, in the new spaces of the Grand Palais Éphémère and the Galerie Eiffel. During the renovation of the Grand Palais (the usual venue for FIAC), this ephemeral building designed by architect Jean-Michel Vilmotte will remain there until the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.
In addition to the traditional FIAC, there will be the second digital edition, ”FIAC Online Viewing Rooms”.
An off-site tour of some twenty works and architectural projects will be presented in collaboration with the Louvre and the Jardin des Tuileries. The program will be completed by the ”Conversation Room” series of conferences, as well as by the ”Parades for FIAC” performances.
Exhibitions of artists from the French scene in contemporary art venues in Greater Paris:
The contemporary art prizes will receive special attention, from the Marcel Duchamp Prize exhibition at the Centre Pompidou, to the Pernod-Ricard Foundation Prize or the Emerige Revelations Prize. The Salon de Montrouge for young creation will allow to discover the dynamism of the emerging scenes.
Other foundations such as the Bourse de Commerce-François Pinault or the Kadist Foundation will be on the program of visits. The Focus will also be completed by a tour of the most relevant art centers and art venues in Greater Paris.
The conditions of selection of applications
- For Sweden, the French Institute of Sweden will pay for the selected candidate’s international round-trip travel;
- The French Institute in Paris will take care of his or her accommodation in France (6 nights in Paris), the program visits, travel in France (shuttles, train Paris-Bordeaux return), and lunches. Dinners will be at the guests’ expense. Evenings are free. There will be no per diem paid by the French Institute.
- The participants will arrive on Sunday, October 17 (free day). The program will begin on Monday, October 18 and will end on Friday evening, October 22 (6 nights of hotel accommodation will be provided from October 17 to 22 inclusive).
- All visits will be conducted in English, which guests should be fluent in.
- A short Powerpoint presentation (5 min) of their institution or art place will be requested at the first curators’ meeting.
Please send your applications before August 29, 2021 (23:59) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must include the following items:
- 1 CV in English
- 1 cover letter in English highlighting your interest in cooperation with France
- 1 portfolio